Cases of COVID-19 up in Volusia County.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
With cases of COVID-19 skyrocketing in Florida thanks to the omicron variant, which was reported in the United States earlier this month, Volusia County has seen an increase in cases by 231%, which is equivalent to 974 new reported cases within the past week. Volusia County's positivity rate for the week is currently at 7.0%.
The omicron variant produces milder symptoms and illness than the delta variant, but it is still highly contagious. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), anyone with the Omicron infection can spread the virus to others, even if they are vaccinated or do not have symptoms.
Christmas impacted testing and vaccination reporting as testing and vaccination sites and agencies began closing for the holiday, and the New Year’s holiday could have the same disruption. Therefore, week-to-week comparisons may be off in the coming weeks, even though the information provided will be accurate based on the agencies that reported it.
Reported data published from the Florida Department of Health on Christmas Eve (December 24) highlighted twenty-eight deaths for the week, leading to an overall death count of 62,342 in Florida, which was ranked ninth among the states where COVID-19 was spreading the fastest on a per-person basis.
With cases on the rise and the positivity rate doubling within the past week, the Florida Department of Health in Volusia County urges unvaccinated people to schedule a vaccine appointment to minimize exposure.
COVID-19 tests are available at the following locations:
- Urgent care centers (by appointment only, not free, must pay for an office visit)
- CVS (free, by appointment only)
- Walgreens (free, by appointment only)
- Local Health Departments
- Volusia County: PCR testing only, 1845 Holsonback Drive, Daytona Beach, and 775 Harley Strickland Blvd., Orange City. To make an appointment call 386-274-0500
- New Smyrna Beach City Gym, Antigen and PCR testing, 1000 Live Oak Blvd., New Smyrna Beach
Vaccines are offered weekly by the Department of Health in Volusia County at all four office locations. Please schedule an appointment by calling 386-274-0500; #. County Health Department locations are as follows:
- 421 S. Keech St., Daytona Beach
- 1845 Holsonback Drive, Daytona Beach
- 717 W. Canal St., New Smyrna Beach
- 775 Harley Strickland Blvd., Orange City
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!