Volusia County's Emergency Rental Assistance portal reopens on March 30.
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
There are still funds available for financially struggling households due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and in response, Volusia County will reopen the Emergency Rental Assistance portal on Wednesday, March 30, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
According to a release, residents can apply for a chance to receive up to nine months of rental and utility arrears. Applicants may submit their applications, and find a full list of income limits and required documents at www.volusia.org/era.
Homes currently receiving assistance or have already applied do not have to reapply. Households receiving assistance through the Our Florida program will not be eligible through the County’s Emergency Rental Assistance program.
County officials expect the portal will receive the maximum number of applications quickly, and applicants should round up their documents before applying. Community Assistance will take several weeks to process the applications, but they will notify the public again when the portal reopens.
On March 30, navigators will provide help to those that need assistance applying, at the following locations:
- Daytona Beach, DeLand, Deltona, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach, and Port Orange regional libraries
- John H. Dickerson Heritage, Hope Place, DeBary, and Edgewater public libraries
- Emergency Rental Assistance office, 121 W. Rich Ave., DeLand
Landlords may also apply for their tenants. They must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with their contact information.
A staff member will then help complete the application, and an eligible household can document these criteria:
- Qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred notable costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to or during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Demonstrates a risk of housing instability
- Has a household income at or below 80 percent of the area median income
Assistance staff will prioritize applications in the following order:
1. Applicants who are unemployed for the 90 days before the application date and whose income is at or below 50 percent of the area median income
2. Applicants whose income is at or below 50 percent of the area median income
3. Applicants who are unemployed for the 90 days before the application date and whose income is at or below 80 percent of the area median income
4. Applicants whose income is at or below 80 percent of the area median income
For more information, call Volusia County’s Community Assistance Division at (386)943-7095.